CO Capt Kesh Suder

This is a Forum-Only Station. Do you have an inactive character that you want to write about? Is your character being transferred somewhere else, or fresh out of the Academy? This is where you write logs or start something creative with your fellow players either on Spacedock, orbiting Earth, or elsewhere in the STE universe.

Moderator: James Greenman

Commander

Re: CO Capt Kesh Suder

Postby Einar S » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Amazing log! Made me laugh out loud.

We'll miss Kesh on this one, but it will be nice to see Jameson in action :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

CO Capt Kesh Suder & CMO Cmdr Kymar Dremel - SD 11203.27

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:23 am

SD 11403.27

Kesh peeled off her white dress uniform jacket with a tired sigh.
"Computer..." she ordered, her voice sounding thin and strained after a day of answering the same question a million different ways. They think I know where he is... Throwing her rumpled jacket on the chair in her small quarters, she looked around with a deep frown, "...dim lights. And get me a jestral tea." Her stomach rumbled, but she ignored it as she sat on the chair, pulled off her boots and stood to slide off her trousers. Fact is... she felt, ...even if I did know where he was hiding, it'd take more than a mind-numbing Starfleet board of inquiry to get it out of me.

If the fact that Starfleet had once trained her to withstand interrogation - and was now trying to interrogate her - wasn't so tragic, it'd be almost funny.

She pulled the clip out of her curling blonde hair and let it settle over her bare shoulders. Shower? Bed? Gym? She stretched and groaned. Too tired to decide.
"Decision made..." she yawned, and climbed beneath the thin sheets of the guest bed provided to her during her imposed stay on Sigma Rho Station. No sooner had she shifted to a comfortable position, a chime sounded followed by the voice of a quiet yeoman in Operations sounding out in the dim light of the cabin.

"Captain Suder, there's an incoming communiqué for you. Commander Kymar of the U.S.S. Hooke, he's on channel one-one-four-seven."
"Tell him, his timing is exquisite..." she complained on reply.
"Ma'am? "
"Patch him through, please," she said, dismissing the yeoman's query.

Pulling herself from her bed, she moved barefoot and bare legged to her console and activated it. Kymar's face eventually replaced the spinning Starfleet insignia.

"Everything ok?", she asked immediately, concern crossing her tired face. From the doctor's perspective, her room was dim, softly lit and sparse, and she was out of uniform. The white, string top she had chosen to sleep in hid very little of the angry scar that still marked her shoulder and chest after her brush with death the previous year. She did nothing to hide it. He had seen it in worse condition, after all.
Dremel looked a little taken aback for a moment, "Oh, i'm sorry. I forgot you were on station-time, I can call back if-" Kesh' emphatic head shake told him in no uncertain terms that seeing as he was already interrupting, he may as well continue to do so. "Everything is...well, fine. Nobody is dead, no emergencies. I just needed some...insight."

He sat there and detailed the last few hours to her, McKinnick's experiments, his research, his theories and how from his perspective he wanted to perform an untested, barely sanctioned experiment on a living sun in a system full of people. She sat and listened while he spoke about his sudden rage and anger that someone calling themselves a doctor would so callously put people's lives at risk, no matter how slight, on something that - at best - wouldn't work, and at worst could incinerate the entire system. When he finished, he looked about ten years older, drawn out and tired.

"Was I wrong, Kesh? I try and justify it, see it from his position, but I just can't - I'm not built like that. If it did go wrong, the billions of people on Ira IV wouldn't even realise what had happened....they'd just be dead."

Kesh remained silent as he spoke, thinking over his words, refraining for interrupting til he had explained the entire situation. She leaned forward, the glow from her screen illuminating her face a little better. She examined her friend and then she spoke. "What do the people on the planet have to say about all of this?"

"Nothing, that's the thing! They're too busy squabbling over land to care about anything else. THAT is what we should be focussing on, not some hare-brained attempt to get this pompous asshole a medal and a journal write-up. I don't see why Starfleet can't send in a terraforming fleet, a couple of years, some atmospheric element compensators and it'll be as if this never happened. I thought that's what we were out here for..."

He sighed quietly and sat back in his chair, hand covering his face to rub at his tired eyes. Perhaps he had been expecting too much from McKinnick. He'd read the man's research, heard about his exploits, but this...This was a step too far, a foot over the line.

Suder cursed gently, pulling her long hair off her face. "I see why you're conflicted..." she shot him a look of sympathy. "I can't say I know what I'd do if I was there, but... I guess the fundamental question is, do you risk the patient's life with a possibly fatal cure, or do you step back and watch them waste away a little more each day?.. I know which option you or I would choose if we were the ones in trouble, but... it's different when you're choosing for someone else... And choosing for a planetsworth of souls, that's just impossible. Do you trust the doctor assigned to you, or do you look for a second, third, fourth opinion? Should you delay treatment while you research the problem in depth yourself? Do you just shoot the bastard to shut him up and break for the border?" she shrugged, the new skin covering her shoulder wound tightening with the movement.

He leaned forward again, his arms crossed and resting on the table in front of him. "There are other options, though. I'm not saying it's paradise on Ira IV right now, far from it, and there are going to be lives lost. But there are things we can do about that, relief and aid we can offer, ambassadors to strike peace, temporary evacuation to ease crowding, food and shelter and replicators to give back to the people who have none, medical teams to ease the suffering and help those in need. We can do that while a proper Federation terraforming team does things the tried and true method to put things right, We have everything to lose using the 'fatal cure', and little to gain that can't be solved with the slower methods."

"Seems to me you have your decision made, Dremel..." she looked out of his screen with regret. "I wish I was there to help."
He smiled just slightly. "Why do I feel like I'm being admonished by my Academy ethics counsellor?"
"No-one has ever accused me of being 'too ethical' before..."

He looked down for a moment. "I guess I just wanted to see if it was me in the wrong here. Are the lives that will be lost by not going for this experimental procedure worth the risk?"
Suder thought silently, her black eyes downcast. "Do no harm..." Looking up she held his gaze. "Easier said than done... which road do you think you could best learn to live with?"

Dremel looked resolute as he spoke. "I know where I stand. There's too much at stake, and the risk is too great - even for one life."

Commander

CO Capt Kesh Suder - Farewell Log

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:55 pm

CO Capt Kesh Suder - Farewell Log
---

Kesh stood deep in thought by a broad window, looking out over the few ships docked at Sigma Rho.

She'd been doing that a lot lately, watching. It was a change of pace that did not sit well with the normally active woman, but she had her orders. Until A'an was tracked down, she knew they saw her as something of an unknown.
"Damn you, Selzah..." she sighed. He'd disappeared, forcing her to step up and take his place as CO of the Hooke, and then, adding insult to injury, his absence now resulted in her passing command on to Jameson and Kymar while she submitted to questioning.

She folded her arms protectively. It had been a long journey for the betazoid woman, a journey that had started over fifteen years previously; She'd been a wide-eyed doctor, a confident and no-nonsense chief, she'd wooed targets and interrogated suspects ruthlessly, she'd fought and yelled and clawed her way time and again back to respectability, back to the uniform.

The one person she had learnt to fully rely on had suddenly and inexplicably punished her for her trust, and once more she felt the ground beneath her feet slide a little. But still, she mused with dry humour, a part of her refused to accept the need give him up. Was it her love of the man, her loyalty to her Captain, or her sense of duty to a fellow officer that kept her steadfast? She wasn't sure. Mostly she thought, it was the fantasy that some day, somewhere, he'd turn up out of the blue and she could sock him one right in his jaw. She couldn't do that if he was tracked down and incarcerated...

So, she had submitted to questioning by telepaths and interviewers less skilled than herself. She had hidden her smiles of derision, bit back the usual slew of insults and one-liners she reserved for enemy interrogations, and answered their queries over and over and over. I wonder why, after asking the same question a hundred different ways they are surprised to get the same answer, she thought.

But now... now, things were coming to a head; She'd received amended orders.
The table lamp that had once sat on the desk in her small quarters had seen the worst of her ire, and now lay scattered in pieces on her carpet after its impact with the bulkhead. The Hooke was being decommissioned, her crew was being sent to another ship. Her crew... HER CREW! Under the command of a total stranger!? She had been with Kymar and Sumner and Adalberto for so long she thought of them all as family. Dysfunctional perhaps, but to her, they were irreplaceable. Benson, Mackenzie, Reed, Leata, Xhasa, Qufu... They'd all been given a place reluctantly in her heart and now they were all to be handed over to someone else. Jameson, too. She'd barely gotten to know her old friend again...

To say she felt punished for something she hadn't done was an understatement. She felt betrayed. Utterly, and completely betrayed by the organisation she had given her life to over and over again.
"You are to report to Starfleet Medical where you will continue your study into telepathic psychotherapy", her orders read. Right, she thought heavily. Last time they said that, I was up to my neck in Intel before I could take a breath. She closed her eyes against the rising sense of disappointment at her circumstances.
At least this time, I won't submit so willingly...

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:42 pm

Legends never really die. Great log, Aoibhe :)
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks, CJ. :)
I hope to have her back (in some shape or form) before long.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:56 am

I'm hoping so too. It's been too long since Kesh has been involved in stuff!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander

Postby Einar S » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:12 pm

Great farewell log :) I'll miss her
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:23 pm

I will miss her, too.
But at least we're safe in the knowledge that she didn't outstay her welcome. :)

Commander

SD 11405.05

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon May 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Kesh laughed a tinkley little laugh as she shimmered in a gown that made her look like a cross between a fish and a Christmas tree. The Bahami Ambassador opposite her smiled as his joke went down well. He sipped at his drink as Kesh turned and held out a slender arm, beckoning a human man to her side. "Darling!" she called with a broad smile. "The Ambassador is looking to meet you," she took his arm as he drew close. "Ambassador, this is my husband, Renno," she turned and smiled at the human, a hand darting up quickly to straighten his cravate. "Renno, darling, may I introduce Ambassador Kuskant..."
"Renno, eh?" the Ambassador said, taking the man's hand and shaking it warmly. "That's an interesting name..."
Renno smiled a little, aaah, the usual conversation, he appeared to be thinking "Only when I'm standing with Senno on my arm, sir. I assure you, without her around, my name seems very boring indeed."
Kesh held his arm tightly as she leaned forward conspiratorially. "We've had comms delayed after being directed to R & S Enno, we've even considered changing our names to match. Wouldn't it be easier?"
Her husband laughed. The Ambassador laughed.
"How did you two meet?" he asked all of a sudden.
Kesh looked at the man on her arm, her lips parting to answer but she didn't say anything.

"Agent Suder, this is Agent Wilde. You'll be partnering up on this one."
Kesh looked at the stranger, sensing his suspicion mirroring her own. "Is he any good?" she asked.
"Are you?" he replied directly. "I hear you've been out of the game for quite a while now..."
Kesh ignored him. "Why can't we get someone else? Duncan Cross? Max Tarley? We worked well before... I don't even know this guy."

"I stole her away from a worthy gentleman", Renno said with pride.
Kesh said nothing.
"What does he have that the other guy doesn't?" the Ambassador asked, coyly.
"Oh..." Kesh answered, looking into her glass of wine as she spoke. "Renno had a much bigger..." she looked up "wallet..."
"OK! Stop the simulation! Agent Suder!" a voice from the monitoring booth boomed out. "What the hell was that?"
Kesh looked up at the glass-plated room seemingly hovering over the reception room that had frozen in place. "It was a joke..." she replied, free hand on her hip. "C'mon... it was funny."
"The wife of an arms smuggler would not joke," Control informed her over the comm.
"I beg to differ, Control, some of the funniest women I have met are married to criminals. Or are criminals. You have to be to get anywhere these days." Kesh looked up at the window again.
Wilde pulled his arm out of her grasp. "Just get it right, OK?" he was frustrated, she could tell. This wasn't the first time she had been the reason they had had to pause the simulation.
"Look, you guys wanted me here, OK? The last time I did anything like this, I was the one seducing, I was the distraction, the one making contact, not the... go-between!"
"Demotions suck, eh, Suder?" Wilde chuckled. "Pity you got old."
"OK, that is enough for today!" Evidently, Control had seen the dark look pass over Kesh's face. She stepped up to Wilde and glared at him. "You're no oil painting yourself, sweetheart, but keep talking like that, and I'll happily turn you into something more abstract."
"Oh, I've known you've had a thing for me since we met, pet. And I know how you thrive on conflict... but you're barking up the wrong tree with me, pet. I'm not interested."
"Dismissed!"
Kesh turned away abruptly at the order and stormed out, leaving silence in her wake.
Wilde sighed heavily. "Another interruption? Swear to God, this feels more like a high-school play than mission training..."
Control didn't answer. The simulation simply melted around the sole agent left in the holodeck.

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Mon May 05, 2014 7:26 pm

I get the feeling that the field of telepathic psychotherapy is woefully under-developed. Good log, Aoibhe :)
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

PreviousNext

Return to Spacedock