CSEC Kalem Animim

This is a Forum-Only Station. Do you have an inactive character that you want to write about? Is your character being transferred somewhere else, or fresh out of the Academy? This is where you write logs or start something creative with your fellow players either on Spacedock, orbiting Earth, or elsewhere in the STE universe.

Moderator: James Greenman

Lieutenant JG

CSEC Kalem Animim

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:10 am

CO Cpt. Idrani and CSEC Lt JG Animim Joint Log, Stardate 11402.22

"And what exactly are you doing in my office?," said the stocky NCO as soon as he entered the Security Officer. Turning around in his chair, Animim looked at the Chief Petty Officer and slowly brought a hand to the pips on his uniform denoting him as a Lieutenant Junior Grade. The Chief looked at the rank insignia for a second and then quizzically raised an eyebrow

"...what are you doing in my office, Sir?" It was obvious that the Security Chief, who Animim had identified as Chief Roston, was a man that did not miss a beat.
"This appears to be my office now, Chief Roston. I'm Lt. Animim, CSEC," said Animim as he stood up from the chair. The Chief finally stood to attention, having finally realised that Animim was his immediate superior.

"Welcome aboard the Rho, Sir."

---- Much Later ----

If there was one thing that the instructors at the Academy drilled into you, it was that you needed to be paranoid in order to work in Security. People that looked at details and said 'Eeeh, it's just a glitch in the system' were not the people that Starfleet needed protecting their stations and ships. Every detail had to be accounted for, and every eventuality needed to be considered in order to ensure the safety of the ship.

The one thing that had stood out to Animim as he had read his orders concerning the Minotaur was the way that the Minotaur had been damaged. Torpedo magazine did not, indeed, blow up every day. Maybe it had been a malfunction, but maybe it had been something more: maybe it had been sabotage. And sabotage only meant one thing: not only was the fate of the Minotaur in danger, but also the fate of the Sigma Rho was in danger. If the potential saboteur managed to find his way into the critical parts of the station, he could do untold damage and that was something that Animim wanted to prevent at all possible costs.

Finally arriving at the door leading to the Station Captain’s office, Animim straightened his uniform after the short run that he had made in order to get there as soon as possible (some eyebrows had been raised as he had impatiently scolded the computer to go faster when he had boarded the turbolift). Apart from reviewing the Station Captain’s records, Animim had not had a chance to meet him in the flesh yet: the Bolian hoped that this panicked interaction wouldn’t prejudice the Captain against him. Ringing the buzzer, Animim awaited the command to enter.

It never came. Instead, the doors swished open and the Andorian Captain stood at the entrance. He looked at Animim as he came to a stop, and recalled his name from the roster he'd been looking at the past few days. There weren't many Bolians on the list. "Lieutenant Animim, I was just heading to Operations." He threw a padd back into his office, letting it bounce off an armchair he'd likely never use. His first day in command of station Sigma Rho wasn't going to be a quiet one, it seemed. He'd half expected it anyway. Since his last assignment, he'd taken six months out with Sara - with every peaceful day, he assumed the universe would get it's revenge somehow. If he didn't know any better, he'd have been convinced it was out to get him.

"Sir, can I accompany you?" quickly responded Animim, matching the steps of the Captain all the way to the turbolift as the Captain nodded his consent. Animim had little chance to get to know the Andorian Captain and didn't know how well they would get on together. Sub-consciously, the Captain felt trustworthy, but that was only because the colour of his skin matched a Bolian's colour: to Animim, this felt re-assuring and familiar, a far cry from the weird skin colours that humans seemed to have.

"Sir, I was looking at the orders regarding the USS Minotaur and one thing stood out to me. The damage seemed to have been caused by a torpedo magazine explosion, a pretty uncommon occurrence," said Animim, his PADD now on hand to remind himself of the message he had been sent only a few hours prior. "I can't help but feel that this maybe was not an accident. Sir, there might be the possibility of deliberate sabotage..."

The Andorian nodded as they walked. "The thought had crossed my mind, but needless to say there'll be a full investigation. I think it's pretty obvious that torpedoes don't just detonate on their own." He turned his head slightly towards the fellow blue-skin. "I sense you have concerns about the station? My guess is that a saboteur would not likely stay on the Minotaur with prior knowledge of such an explosion, however."

"Maybe so, sir, but we can't account for how much the potential perpetrator values his own life. History is replete with examples in which people, in the process of following a cause, have sacrificed their lives for a particular belief. Either that, or the saboteur knew that the Minotaur would be able to make it back." Animim's usual grin had disappeared by now, replaced instead by a somewhat pained expression. Some might have called it paranoia, but the safety of the entire station was at stake: he couldn't just sit by as a potential threat, no matter how minuscule, was unaccounted for. Images flashed in front of his eyes: a criminal, dressed in a Starfleet uniform, somehow making his way to main engineering or weapon storage on the Sigma Rho, creating a similar explosion. There would be chaos aboard the old station: the Rho was already housing more people than could be housed in emergency pods, especially with the crew of the Minotaur being present as well. It would be slaughter.

"Sir, I strongly suggest that we use one of the large, secure storage cargoholds to hold ALL of the officers aboard the Minotaur. They cannot be allowed to mingle with the general population of the Station. No one expect pre-cleared medical personal should be allowed inside the cargohold. All wounded Minotaur crewmembers that are placed in Sickbay due to their wounds will have to have an armed guard. All transporter and shuttle traffic to and from the Minotaur will have to be tightly controlled: I suggest a member of my team present within all shuttle and transporter arrivals. We will need to keep a log of all Minotaur crewmembers that step aboard the station. It might seem draconian but its the only way to make sure, sir," said Animim, catching a breath of air after finishing is almost run-on sentence.

Idrani stopped walking to hear Animim, turning to face him proper. He raised a hand to stop him speaking at the end; he was getting out of breath. "Chief, we have no evidence of sabotage, and I don't want to jump to conclusions." He took a breath, considering what had been said. "But we can't ignore the possibility. The Minotaur crew are free to move about wherever they wish, except areas which require authorisation such as operations, etcetera." He held up a hand to refuse any interjections. "The Starfleet uniform stands for something, and I won't treat officers differently because of a feeling. Secure areas off limits, as per standard procedure, and bump up security in general. Basically keep a close eye on it, but let's be subtle." He nodded at him indicating his decision, then added. "Is there anything else?"

Animim wanted to object to the order: Bolians were known as being outspoken, but Kalem knew that to counter the Captain's orders would be foolish so early in their relationship. It would mark the Bolian as someone unable to just accept orders and that was not the way that Animim wanted to start this professional relationship. In the end, the Captain had the same responsibility as Animim: keep the station and people within it safe.

"Orders understood, sir, with the consensus that if we even find the remotest evidence of sabotage, we enact my recommendations as I outlined above?"

Animim cursed himself slightly. He could just have accepted the orders, but his big mouth had caused trouble once again. Hoping that the Captain hadn't seen it as a challenge to his authority, Animim smiled in the hope that it would defuse the situation before it even began to boil over.

Idrani started walking again, happy his officer felt open to approach him, but also understanding the limited time they had to get ready for the Minotaur. He spoke firmly but calmly. "I don't tend to give orders with clauses, Chief. If you uncover evidence of sabotage, report it and we'll take it from there." He took a few more steps and walked into operations.

"Understood, sir," said Animim, hoping that he hadn't overstepped his bounds. He had already planned to help in the investigations, but approval from the Captain did help. Following the Captain, Animim entered the organised chaos that was operations.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: CSEC Kalem Animim

Postby James Greenman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Absolutely stonking log, both of you! I can't wait to see what you throw out during the mission, I think this is going to be a fun one. :)
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant JG

CSEC Kalem Animim (With the help of GM James)

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:31 pm

Kalem's usually cheery disposition was almost completely gone. After his talks with Ensign Rtarn and with Captain Idrani, there was only one thought in his mind: the safety of the Station. All that he had heard so far seemed to point towards a deliberate act of sabotage. From what Ensign Rtarn, a Tactical Officer aboard the USS Minotaur, had said, the CTO of the ship had been a stickler for procedure, with checks made on the warheads every four hours. A check had occurred only 3 hours prior to the so-called 'accident': it didn't seem likely that the warheads had suddenly failed in such a time frame. Kalem had also been told that two crewmembers had been on duty at the launchers when the explosion occurred: if either of them was alive, interviewing them would certainly help with the investigation.

Returning to his office on Level 4, Kalem quickly accessed his computer terminal, bringing up the full crew complement of the Minotaur. His investigation would have to be focused on the Tactical department of the ship: they would have likely been the only department with access to the torpedo magazines, or at least enough access that it wouldn't be unusual for them to work near or on the torpedoes.The CTO of the ship, a Lt. Hargrave, had been already reported to be dead, unfortunately. Trying to cross-reference the list of casualties that had been created with the full crew manifest of the Minotaur, Kalem first of all attempted to see if the crewmembers he was so interested on, a Crewman Lloyd and a Crewman L'tak, were still alive.

"Computer, run a search on the isolinear tags of everyone currently onboard evacuated from the Minotaur. Subjects are Crewman First Class L'tak, and Crewman Second Class William Lloyd."

The computer spent a few moment running it's searches in the background, filing through it's internal database before spitting out the results. "Crewman First Class L'tak. Deceased. Currently in Morgue 4. Status, awaiting autopsy. Crewman Second Class Lloyd. Deceased. Currently in Morgue 4. Status, complete."

Kalem cursed. That was one potential lead already gone. But something stood out to Kalem as he listened to the words of the computer. The status of Crewman Lloyd had been complete? Had an autopsy been run already?

"Computer, please qualify the status of Crewman Lloyd. Has an autopsy been run on him already? If so, bring up the results on my terminal."

The computer brought up the autopsy report and Kalem quickly scanned it: the crewman had died from internal haemorrhaging from massive injuries, which was not unexpected considering the accident that the Minotaur had gone through. Two things stood out, however: a strange bruise had been noticed on his neck, which didn't seem to match the rest of his injuries and his arm had been broken at least two hours before the time of death.

Had Crewman Lloyd been attacked during his shift at the torpedo launchers? This was troubling. If someone had overpowered the two crewmen, the list of suspects couldn't be limited to just the Tactical Department: they would have to be extended to the entire crew. More questions arose: if Crewman Lloyd had been attacked, while wasn't he simply stunned using a phaser? Why did the attacker break his arm? What happened to Crewman L'tak?

There was only one way to answer these questions: the morgue. Autopsy had yet to be done on the body of Crewman L'tak, but if the potential attacker knew that the bodies of the two crewmen hadn't simply vaporised, he might have decided to come back and finish the job. Kalem had to get there as quickly as possible...

Lieutenant JG

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:28 pm

CSEC LtJG Animim, Duty Log Stardate 11403.01

The trip to the morgue had been interesting for more than one reason. Nurse Wu'chu had been extremely helpful in creating a few more leads in the investigation for a start: the anaesthezine had narrowed down the list of possible suspects to only 6 possible officers aboard the Minotaur. Considering that the list had previously spanned the entire crew of the ship, this was a pretty good achievement. Of course, there was the possibility that they had simply given the compound to someone else, but it was still a lead worth chasing. The security of the whole station was at stake and time was of the essence: the more time they lost, the more time the suspect would be able to cover his tracks and Animim was not going to let whoever destroyed the Minotaur to simply escape.

The visit to the morgue had revealed several new pieces of evidence. First of all, the bruise on the neck of crewman Lloyd had been due to a hyprospray injection, forcefully applied: it seemed to be unlikely that the injection had been done with the approval of the crewman. The injured arm was still a puzzle, but it could easily be explained by the perpetrator twisting it backwards or struggling with the crewman before Lloyd had been injected.

Unfortunately, Crewman L'tak had not given any further clues: he had died close to the explosion and quite frankly, was a mess. Animim would have to find a MED officer from the Rho to see if any further clues could be gathered regarding that particular body, but for now it was a dead end.

Working on a hunch and from the clues that he had gathered from the post-mortem on the two bodies, Animim had contacted the CTO and his security teams in order to find all the remaining MED officers of the Minotaur. Even if they weren't guilty of sabotage, the clue of the anaesthezine was too good to pass: it had to be followed. After returning to his office and letting Chief Petty Officer Roston know about the situation, Animim quickly set to use the scanners to find the Minotaur MEDs currently on the station.

And this is where Animim found himself now, in the middle of Promenade, a couple of security officers following him. They had to be discreet, but time was of the essence. He had to find the perpetrator before he could do more...

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:53 pm

You forgot the part where you hit on the nurse and she checked out your butt. :riker:

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Heh heh, 'dead end.'
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Lieutenant JG

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:44 pm

(some strong language)

Part 1

If, for a moment, you could have been a disembodied presence, a sort of specter, watching what occurred within that dingy, dirty hallway, the spectacle would have been delightful, to say the least. Like some sort of New Year's celebration, the fusion of colour and lights seemed to be destined to be wonderful to behold, but like most things in nature, the brighter and more beautiful something looks, the more deadly it is. Throughout evolution, bright colours and sound have been used to warn, scare and threaten, but in this situation they were a mere bye-product.

The primary aim of phasers and disruptors were not to create light and sound, but to fire a beam of energy at enemies: even if, in the end, the multitude of beams did create some sort of fantastical display, this was clearly far from the aim of the developers of such technologies. Still, for a moment, Kalem was mesmerised, almost stunned by how the beams interplayed with each other and as he crouched, his back to a large metal container, he could see the green disruptor beams gleaming overhead, maybe only a couple of inches away, the heat radiating from them warming the top of his bald, blue, Bolian head.

"Kalem, what the fuck are you doing. Keep up the fire!" M'krah, one of the Romulans that Kalem that had come with the Bolian started to shake him as he said so. Still dazed, Kalem slowly turned around, still crouched, and peeked his head above the container.

A sudden burning sensation on his cheek finally forced him to duck once again. If he could have seen himself in a mirror, Kalem would have been disgusted by the sharp green and black streak that the beam had left on his cheek, but for now, the only thought in the Bolian's head was 'I nearly died'. The phrase kept being repeated like a mantra and once again, it was M'krah that forced Kalem out of his stunned state.

"You useless piece of crap. Never trust a fucking Bolian. We'd better leave you here to die!" The last part of the sentence was shouted and that, at least, seemed to snap Kalem out of his reverie. Almost like he was acting on instinct, Kalem rose from his cover and fired a few shots from his phaser before ducking down again.

"Better, Bolian! Now give me some damn covering fire!" Said the Romulan, preparing himself to run over to the other side of the hallway, where the twitching form of Kavenagh was still whimpering in pain. Still functioning on automatic pilot, Kalem stood up and poured concentrated fire towards the other side of the hallway, making the enemy Orion duck. M'krah quickly rushed to the other side, ducking behind some other crates before checking on Kavenagh.

"This human is a goner, Bolian." Before Kalem could even protest, M'krah fired his disruptor at the wounded Kavenagh. The whimpering stopped. Kalem was shocked: the human had been only of the few people in their merry band of marauders which the Bolian had genuinely liked. M'krah was already searching the pockets of his erstwhile ally, finally finding a few bars of gold-pressed latinum in the human's pocket.

"This is your share, I guess," said the Romulan as he chucked a couple of them towards Kalem. He still didn't know how to reply: when asked later, the Romulan claimed that he had simply meant to put Kavenagh 'out of his misery', but the claim would never stand up to scrutiny in Kalem's eyes.

"Stop looking at me like a wounded puppy, Bolian, and keep up the fire. Those Orion bastards are advancing towards us!" To emphasise his point, M'krah started firing, and soon Kalem followed suit. He had to shut his hate of the Romulan out, at least until he was out of danger. Seeing an Orion advancing towards him, Kalem took careful aim and shot his phaser, the beam striking the Orion in his midriff and knocking him out of his feet, dead.

A couple of hours ago this would have shocked Kalem, that he had killed a living, sentient being, but the last couple of hours had been a baptism of fire that the Bolian would not soon forget. Now the Bolian simply chose another target and fired. Survival had become the only overriding imperative.

Suddenly, out in front, a small ball arched towards where Kalem and M'krah were. Time almost seemed to stand still as the Bolian checked its trajectory. M'krah had noticed the grenade yet, and it was almost like the words were sticking in Kalem's mouth. He wanted to shout out, give a warning to the Romulan, but it was almost like he couldn't.

"Watch out, grenade!" Finally the warning was shouted, but even to Kalem it seemed like his words were far too late. M'krah quickly turned around while Kalem ran backwards in order to escape the blast. It didn't take long for the blast to occur and it was like an invisible fist pushed the Bolian from behind, sending him flying and then crashing heavily against the floor. The last thing Kalem saw was M'krah lying beside him in a similar situation, before the world went black and still.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Absolutely loving our Bolian friend. :)

Keep it up! I can't wait for Part 2.

Lieutenant JG

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:24 pm

Lt JG Kalem Animim, Duty Log Stardate 11403.08

The shot fired out from Kalem's phaser, hitting the Bajoran in the shoulder, making her spin and hit the grounds. Kalem had barely listened to what she had to say, some crap about the Prophet, when he had entered the room, but he didn't have time for that bullshit. The CTO, Lt. Thran, seemed to have started to talk to her, but the phaser blast had cut the conversation short. Lt Thran had turned to Kalem and nodded, voicing his approval. Kalem smiled back. With a bomb ticking away, there had been no time to discuss plans with a lunatic. There had been the danger that the bomb was on a dead-man's switch, but if that was the situation, the Rho would have been as good as doomed already. Every second that ticked would have brought them all closer to death.

As the Bajoran stumbled back, security officers rushed towards her, while Lt Thran, Kalem and Ensign Jensen from Engineering approached the device. On the advice of the CSO, Kalem had attempted to tag the device with his combadge, but preventative measures had been placed on the bomb in order to prevent it from being beamed away. There was only one person left that could save the Rho: Ensign Jensen. Kalem had done his part and quickly ordered his security team to get away and take the suspect away with them, but Kalem felt he couldn't leave. There was nothing else to do but pace up and down, hoping against all hope that Ens Jensen would disable the device. Kalem smiled nervously: his defence mechanism in action once again.

The Bolian couldn't help it: he had used humour and a smile to defend himself for his entire life. Kalem's mother, when she had felt melancholic at the absence of his father rather than angry, had mentioned that Adan, his father, had been much the same. Adan had won her over with his wit, charm, humour and constant, bright smiles and it was clear that it was this that she missed the most when he was on duty within the Merchant Marines. Kalem had grown to dislike his mother after he had left Bolarus, but he still pitied her, left alone by both her child and husband, both off to the wider galaxy in search of adventure. Maybe that was the reason why she had been so distant the last time he had contacted her? Maybe, like Kalem's smile, it was a defence mechanism, a way for her to worry less about Kalem if he, like his father, suddenly disappeared completely.

This was something that Kalem had never really thought about before, but imminent death seemed to have crystallised his thoughts, making him think clearly about his relationship with his mother for probably the first time ever. Pushing those thoughts away, Kalem turned back to the device. Even on the brink of death, there were things that he found difficult to think about. Kalem looked at the Andorian and Human near the bomb, wondering what thoughts were flying through their own heads as they contemplated death. Maybe they, too, needed some way to push those thoughts away, and Kalem knew just the way...

"So, wanna have a long, nice drink if we survive this?"

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:39 pm

A fantastic log for a fantastic mission! I can't wait to wrap this up next week and throw some more at you. :D

Next

Return to Spacedock