CMO Ajala Ecchumati

This is a Forum-Only Station. Do you have an inactive character that you want to write about? Is your character being transferred somewhere else, or fresh out of the Academy? This is where you write logs or start something creative with your fellow players either on Spacedock, orbiting Earth, or elsewhere in the STE universe.

Moderator: James Greenman

Lieutenant

CMO Ajala Ecchumati

Postby Andrew James » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:10 am

War had been described as long periods of boredom punctuated by sheer terror. It was an equally apt description for a starship sickbay, Ajala realised. Three quiet and peaceful days of organising Sickbay to her liking had passed in what felt like three days. The few minutes that had passed since the red alert klaxons had rung out also felt like three days.

The Doctor rematerialised in the operation theatre with her first patient. His face seemed to hold a permanent grimace, and his uniform had practically melted into his upper torso. A rod protruded from his chest, no doubt part of a console or a chair. He looked horrific, but the smell... Along his collar, the only part that seemed to have survived the blast were his four golden pips, where the man must have raised a hand in an attempt to protect his face - an immediate identifier saving Nurse Fayed from having to ask who it was.

Ajala could instantly pick up the worry from her staff, the increased concern. "He's a patient, just like every other patient," she said as Fayed administered a standard dose of triox. Fayed nodded resolutely, but Ajala could still sense the terror. She felt it too. It was different because it was the Captain.

She activated the monitor at the end of the bed, an internal scan of Brax appearing along with his vital statistics. "It's lodged between his fifth and sixth ribs, punctured the lung. Blood pressure is down, but the puncture wound is alleviating the signs of compartment syndrome. A sort of accidental escharotomy," she said with a raised eyebrow.

Ajala tapped the controls on the side of the bed, activating the sterifield. "We need to reduce pressure on the brain, stop that bleed. The shrapnel can wait, let's get that stable first." The damage was great, and even with the wonders of medical science Brax would fare better in a medical coma as it'd help keep the pressure down. That meant the ship was down a Captain for the forseeable future... one thing at a time, Ajala...

She relieved the pressure on the brain, moved on to the shrapnel while Fayed started applying derma-plastic grafts across his charred torso. "Okay, Nurse Tokyo, take over here," she said when the shrapnel was removed. "The damage is mostly repaired in the cavity, close him up." The Doctor stepped away, under no illusion about Captain Brax's chances. Unfortunately, the Captain was not the only injury on board, and sickbay had started to fill while she'd been in surgery.

She tapped her combadge. "Sickbay to bridge," she started, remembering Captain Rome had taken command, "Captain Rome, Captain Brax is stable, but his injuries were severe. I've got him in a medical coma at the moment, and..." She let out a sigh. "I'm sorry Captain, it's going to be touch and go."

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: CMO Ajala Ecchumati

Postby James Greenman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Poor old Captain Brax!

Ah well, he was getting old, he probably needs the sleep. :)
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Thu May 22, 2014 3:28 pm

“I finished,” Naoise had proclaimed, jumping down from her chair, drawing in hand. “It’s a boy,” she said, “but not a princess. Only girls can be princesses. And this is the grass, this bit is grass, more grass,” she pointed to each bit with the yellow felt pen she still held in her small hand. “This is all the sky... and he lives in this house, but it’s not that big. I drawed it too big, but that’s okay. And this is you, and the boy was sick but you made him better.”

The picture now sat on Ajala’s office desk, a plain wooden frame wrapped around its edges, and next to her work station. One unread message. It had sat there for a day already, since Ajala had seen its point of origin. Caledonia. She sat at her desk, staring at the notification for a while, daunted by its very presence.

-

The cave had been dark. They’d only had one light source between them. In the rush to get into the shelter, there’d been no time to take anything but the clothes on their backs and the tools in her belt.

There weren’t supposed to be any more bombs; they had their own troops in Caledonia city now. It made no sense to drop the second one. She’d seen their soldiers through her dusty EVA suit visor, waving their guns about, shooting towards her and the rest of the away team. And yet, the mushroom cloud was right there, rising towards the sky. The sound of collapsing buildings and people screaming was getting closer at an unbelievable pace. She barely had time to cope with the shock of it before they’d run for the caves.

All she could sense was the panic and fear of those around her. It was overwhelming, bringing her to tears; she felt the panic of the few in the cave and the horror of the many who hadn’t made it in time. That was when she realized she’d been separated from the rest of the away team.

-

The baby was quiet, but safe enough relatively speaking. Her limited medical skills had been enough to stabilize her, for now. The mother, on the other hand, had no hope and she knew it. If only she could remember more of her medical training… if only they’d made it to the other cave instead. But she knew she was only fooling herself. The mother had been seriously injured before the second bomb had even been dropped.

“Don’t worry,” Ajala promised looking into the woman’s eyes, her hand on her cheek, “I’ll take care of her.” ‘If we survive ourselves’, she thought silently to herself as the rumble of more weapons fire echoed from nearby. “I’ll look after her.”

-

Finally, Ajala mustered the courage to open the message. She skipped through the legal headers and jargon at the top, jumping straight to the main message.

“No…” she whispered aghast, “they can’t take her away from me.”

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu May 22, 2014 5:24 pm

Need a lawyer? ;)

brilliant log Andrew!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu May 22, 2014 7:16 pm

ooooooooooh. This is gonna be in-ter-esting!

Lieutenant

Postby Sophie Wakeling » Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm

to keep, or not to keep the brat on board, that is the question :p

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Thu May 22, 2014 7:53 pm

You are all just haters.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu May 22, 2014 9:14 pm

You have to keep her around!
She's the one who has to save you all from being too stupid to realise the solution to the problem-of-the-week!

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:25 pm

It took all her strength not to start yelling. How she’d have loved to reach through the monitor and strangle the asshole on the other side. “I still don’t understand. The adoption was complete. Your government approved it.”

“That was the former government of Caledonia. I am surprised you haven’t kept up to date with political events on the home world of your so-called adopted child.”

Well, that wasn’t surprising. She wanted to stay away from there until it was safe again, and even then she’d only be returning to show Naoise where she was born. She didn’t exactly have fond memories of the place. Nuclear destruction was never on a postcard.

“Former government?”

“Yes, the child was taken during a transitional period. The body that handled the adoption had no real authority. The rightful government has since been restored, the rebels suppressed. Caledonia does not recognize the adoption and has called for all children who were stolen from…”

That, she couldn’t take quietly. “Stolen?! I didn’t steal anyone.”

He raised a hand to stop her, “Clearly the rebels confused many new parents with their lies, and we understand that. That’s why we are not pressing charges against any of the adoptive entities.” He coughed gently, with just the right amount of smugness to make Ajala want to punch him in the face. “However, all children are to be returned to their rightful home within 60 days of notice or that may change.”

“Naoise has no home on Caledonia, her parents were killed during the… transitional period.”

“There are also many parents who lost children due to the rebels. They will all be given good homes, with their own species, where they can learn about their culture without interference. Now, if you’ll excuse me I’ve spent far too much time on this as it is. According to my records, you have 52 days remaining to return the child or you will be prosecuted and imprisoned.”

The monitor displayed the symbol of Caledonia. Ajala slammed her fist down on the power button, switching it off in a rage. “The 'rebels' weren't the ones dropping the nuclear bombs,” she yelled at the screen. The door chime rang.

She took a deep breath, let it out, another in, and then out. “Come in.”

Nurse Mendoza stepped inside cautiously. “Everything okay, Aj?”

Until this point, she’d been in denial. This was just some silly thing that would go away, wasn't it? But not any longer. This was happening, and they were going to take her daughter away from her. She pressed her lips firmly together and gently shook her head in answer.
Last edited by Andrew James on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:41 pm

fantastic log Andrew :) I hope our lovely GD will pick up on it! ;)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Next

Return to Spacedock