TAC Ensign D'Mera

This is a Forum-Only Station. Do you have an inactive character that you want to write about? Is your character being transferred somewhere else, or fresh out of the Academy? This is where you write logs or start something creative with your fellow players either on Spacedock, orbiting Earth, or elsewhere in the STE universe.

Moderator: James Greenman

Commander

Re: TAC Ensign D'Mera - USS Hooke

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:58 pm

It's true, Jack. I started Suder in 1999, and I literally will show NO-ONE her first log...
Picard would not be impressed. :picard:

Your writing is spectacular. I'm loving every word.

Lieutenant

Postby Jack Lucas » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm glad you guys are enjoying them. I'll continue writing them.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Lieutenant JG

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:47 pm

That's some really impressive stuff, Jack! :aaa:

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:41 am

These logs are genuinely astounding, Jack. I've been playing Dremel for almost a decade, and i'm with Aoibhe on this one - Nobody will ever see any of his old logs ever. :V
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant

Postby Jack Lucas » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:53 pm

The Thing on the Holosuite (Part 3)

Stardate 11402.25

Flashback, Six Years Ago:

D'Mera recoiled in horror as the heavy wooden door creaked open. Her hand went to her mouth as she screamed in terror "COMPUTER, END PROGRAM! COMPUTER! COMPUTER STOP!" No one outside the soundproof holosuite could hear her scream, and the terror was real, as she couldn't remember if the computer had deactivated the safety protocols or not.

It all happened so fast, but so many thoughts were ringing in her head. This wouldn't be the first time someone had accidentally killed themselves in a holosimulation - it was practically commonplace in the news. Some idiot was constantly turning off the safety protocols by accident and getting shot by a mugger or melted by a super villain. Most of the time, it was something sexual, though. "Always the quiet ones" her Father had said in disgust.

She stumbled backwards on the floor, her hands gripping for anything to defend herself with. She continued screeching in horror as she felt her pheromone ability heating up. It was an indescribable feeling, somewhere shallow in her skin, but she knew what it felt like. She was crawling backwards across the wooden floor as the door continued to swing, heavy and slow. The black onyx knob she'd attached to it had changed the destination of the doorway, no longer did she see the flicker of candles in the next room, but what looked like mud and rocks, and blackness beyond it.

The door was halfway open, a slimy black hand reached in, dripping with ooze and bile. It pressed itself on the inside of the doorway, scarring the wood around the frame as it crackled and fell away. She could hear it breathing, heavy and wet.

It was at this precise moment that D'Mera completely and utterly lost her shit.

The shrill screech that she emitted in complete and utter horror was a sound most people probably could only make once, and probably only in their last brief moment.

Two negative beeps emitted from the computer as the program paused. The black oozy hand stayed motionless against the wall.

"You have reached the end of the prologue."

The hand disappeared as did the doorway, it was replaced by a normal, solid core door that hung loosely on its hinges. The matches on the floor disappeared, as did the books on the desk and the candles from their perches along the wall. The two walls that did not contain bookshelves morphed, to each contain a simple wood frame window that looked out into a gray sky. Rain began to pour down as D'Mera huffed and puffed, trying to regain her breath.

She clutched at her chest, unsure if she had imagined it, or if the computer had just said "prologue."

"Fuck. You." She said aloud, and with little breath remaining. She hesitated, but climbed up off of the floor and steadied herself on the edge of the desk. D'Mera was lightheaded, and dripping with sweat. She had tears stained down her face, her dark eye makeup had carved two narrow wedges down her face. She looked out the window at the rain, still confused and scared. She gulped a dry swallow and whispered, "Computer, end program."

The walls faded away, the rain stopped and the door disappeared. She was standing alone in the dim holosuite.

She began to cry. She felt foolish, and she knew the worst was yet to come. She sat down on the floor of the holosuite and held her knees to her chest. It was only a matter of time. She'd have to call her Dad, tell him that her pheromones went off, and he'd have to turn on the air scrubbers. She'd be confined to this room for at least another hour, until her curse was reduced to less than 100 parts per million in the air around her. It had happened before, and every time, she vowed it would never happen again.

What was that stupid novel anyway? She pondered. It was supposed to be by some Love Crafter - and yet the ordeal she'd just been through was not romantic, it was not fun, and it was quite literally maddening. She pressed her fingers to her throat, as she felt her pulse beating fast. She felt her nail puncture her neck and pulled her fingers back. A drop of blood. Fantastic.

She should've just studied.

======================

She walked out of the sonic shower wrapped in a towel. It had only taken her Father a few hours to flood her pheromones from the holosuite, and another hour of decontamination for her in the bathroom. She had a routine. She'd had the same routine since she was eleven, when this first started happening. The white towel wrapped around her head tilted under its own weight as she crossed the hallway towards her room.

"I don't think so." Her Father said from the living room. The holographic fire was lit, and he was standing over it with a tumbler of synthehol. "What happened." It was a statement, not a question. It was so plain and frank. He didn't even sound mad.

"I..." She paused in the hallway, and leaned against the wall facing him. "I was browsing holonovels, and I found one that I thought looked interesting." There was some of that 'tone' he didn't like in her voice. She put one naked foot on top of the other as she leaned, biting at her freshly filed thumb nail.

"H.P. Lovecraft, according to the computer. Horror? Since when is that your thing?" He looked almost disappointed.

"It's not, I just..." She contemplated telling him her mistake, in thinking that the program was a romantic one. Better not, she decided. "I wanted to try something new."

He sighed, heavily. "You know, your Mother has been saying I've been putting too much stress on you. With the pre-exam coming up and all the studying - she didn't want you to go and make it worse." He legitimately seemed sad. "You can't afford to have one of these 'outbursts' at the Academy. They won't stand for it. And you've gotta keep your eye on the ball right now. Why couldn't you have loaded something familiar? Something calming or soothing?"

She shrugged, "I don't know, Dad. I just..." Her eyes were dampening, she looked straight through him. "I just wanted to explore."

He paused.

Then he chuckled as he took a sip of his brown drink. He nodded as he began walking towards the kitchen. "Well, then you picked the right career."

He stepped into the kitchen, finished for the moment. D'Mera could hear her Mother rolling over in bed from their bedroom. Likely doubled over with grief. Her Mother always locked herself away when D'Mera had her "fits." D'Mera's blank face frowned as she about-faced towards her room.

She changed into some sweats and picked up a PADD. More studying. She sprawled onto her bed and laid on her belly, hunched over her study materials. Some time passed. She read, she learned, this is a thing teenagers should do, but often don't. D'Mera was good at that.

Moments later, two friendly beeps at the door.

"Yeah." D'Mera put the PADD down in front of her. Her Father entered.

"Just so we're clear, no one's mad at you." He said, calmly. He leaned his back against the wall nearest her door, letting his knees bend out in front of him. "We... We just..." He stopped again, carefully picking his words. "I've been pushing you too hard, and I know that. I'm as nervous as you probably are, about the application process... All a parent wants in life, is to see their kids succeed. And you, you've done EVERYTHING right so far. You're on the right path, and nothing has slowed you down. Even with your... Well, your 'thing' - you always come out the other side of it having learned something. And I think that's admirable. But you can't let yourself get stressed out like this. You can't put yourself in situations where you're going to lose control. You have to be smart about it. Push it down, deeper. Y'know, when I was your age-"

He was starting to ramble, so she jumped in, "Dad, I know that you think I'm mature and I try really hard to make you and Mom happy... But sometimes..." She hesitated... "Sometimes I just want you to hug me and tell me that it's ok."

His face was stricken, he looked upset. He stepped forward and gripped D'Mera with both hands. They embraced, and tears rolled down D'Mera's face.

"And just so you know," she said through quiet tears, "that stupid computer doesn't always shut off when you tell it to."

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:05 am

This reply is going to be twofold;

1) D'mera is amazing, and that log probably cemented her as one of my favourite characters ever. The Hooke is going to be absolutely amazing.

2) I love your signature! Bahaha, that shit is awesome! :fingers: :riker:

Lieutenant

Unexpected Consequences

Postby Jack Lucas » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:07 pm

Unexpected Consequences

Stardate 11403.02

D'Mera looked around the cavern. The Horta were huddled on one side of it, Dremel stooped down over them with his tricorder. He seemed desperately concerned for their well being. She, on the other hand, was having difficulty distinguishing them from the rocks around them. She was embarassed to admit it, of course, and had done her best to understand the Doctor's scans. Silicon life was taught in Starfleet, but it was rare. Rare enough that D'Mera might have even joked back then that she'd never meet one.

The Doctor had referred to scans from this planet taken over one hundred years ago by a Dr. McCoy. She knew the name, but only peripherally. She struggled to recall, and eventually gave up.

The Betazoid engineer stood casually, his mind subserviant to the Horta, as D'Mera understood it. He wore a bright orange jumpsuit, as did most of the humanoid staff here, as she'd noticed in the office when they first entered. Sumner stood near the back of the cavern, taking scans of his own. She felt a little useless, and reslung her phaser rifle over her shoulder. She crossed her arms. This was her first away mission, and so far, so good.

The First Officer was a betazoid like the Captain. They had only briefly met, on the tranpsorter pad, before she collapsed on the surface. D'Mera noticed her wearing a small medical device on her head. It was likely a cortical inhibitor of some kind.

D'Mera huffed a moment. Dremel turned, and gave her a friendly look, as he went back to his scans. There were multiple Horta sized tunnels that poured into this chamber. She reequipped her phaser rifle and examined each hole. The edges were smooth, carved by the corrosive material excreted by the Horta. Dremel had come up with a plan to replenish the pergium in the rock in this area, a mineral necessary to the lives of the Horta. She wondered what would happen to the mine, then, as she understood it, the mine existed primarily to mine pergium.

Another sigh, quietly and to her self. She kept the phase rifle at the ready, her duty was the security of the away team while they resolved to help these... lifeforms. Her mind wandered, as it sometime did, to her days at the Academy.

Flashback: 2 years ago:

D'Mera stood outside the Red Squad briefing room at Starfleet Academy. It was a decorated lobby, with trophies and awards and commendations on the wall. Several holoportraits lined the wall, young crews smiling on the bridge of different starships. She noted a few, the USS Griswold, a Hermes class scout active in the middle of the 23rd century. Another, the USS Valiant, a Defiant class vessel. It had fewer crews, it seemed, than the others. The ship was marked destroyed. She frowned. That was the one that got caught up in the Dominion War.

Red Squad had stopped flying after the Dominion War until only a decade or so ago, when they crewed a newer Defiant Class vessel. She hoped to be on the crew in the next semester. She'd been passed over her first two years at the Academy, but this year she was a semifinal candidate. Her interviews had gone well, and she'd passed all of the initiative tests. Now it was down to wire, this meeting would determine her fate for the next semester.

She pulled at her loose sleeves, covering the inhibitor on her left arm. She'd elected to wear the dark gray dress uniform typical of cadets. It was snug over her inhibitor, but otherwise fitting. She continued to pace the lobby with her hands tucked behind her back. She was nervous about her new, short haircut. She'd gone with a "pixie cut" - to help lessen what her Astrophysics professor had called a "casual look" she had, with her long hair and attitude. D'Mera considered the pixie cut a fresh start. She was nervous it made her look like a boy, but it was easier to maintain, which she liked.

Finally, the briefing room door swished open. She stood at attention, locking her eyes on the wall across from her. A nickel plated model of a Nova Class scout peered back at her. Two men erupted from the door laughing together. One was older, and frail Andorian, a Rear Admiral. She could only see him out of the corner of her eye. The other was the liason to Red Squad for the following semester, the human Lieutenant Commander Harlow, borrowed from the Sigma Rho. He had a reputation, one that she liked.

"Cadet." Harlow spoke, his voice sounded like a rockslide. "At ease." He chuckled.

She dropped her arms and tried to smile, but knew it probably looked fake. She suddenly realized she'd left attention too quickly, and wondered if they noticed how eager she was to not be standing that way.

Harlow reached out a hand towards hers, "Congratulations again, on making it to the semifinals." He was a big man, like a mountain.

"Thank you, Sir." She took his hand and shook it. His hand was enormous, she was shaking with anxiety. She pulled her hand back and fiddled with her hands.

His brow popped up in surprise, "There's nothing to be nervous about Cadet, we don't make any decisions today, this is just an opportunity for us to get to know you."

The Rear Admiral paced around the two, and smiled, "Tell us, D'Mera, what are your designs for your future in Starfleet?" His antennae twitched.

D'Mera took a deep breath, facing them both, "Well, I'm eager to... I want... I'd like to get out there and explore. I'd like to s-"

"Seek out new life? New civilizations?" The Rear Admiral interjected, perhaps mocking her... Andorians were typically known to be somewhat abrasive. He shook his head with a smile, "It's alright, Cadet. There's a reason we hold those words so dear. We all feel that way. But once you're out there, exploring, what do you mean to do?"

Harlow's eyes widened, anticipating her response. She paused, anxious. She finally spoke, "Honestly, Admiral, I'd like to get out of here, and see something new. I want to meet these 'new lifeforms' and be a part of discovering whatever's on our horizon." She smiled, that was a good answer, she thought.

The Admiral and Harlow shared a glance. Harlow spoke, "Cadet, if you don't mind me asking..." He paused, his face serious. "Your application shows a strong dedication to Tactical courses, and most of your extra-curriculars are... Well, combat oriented. Mok'Bara, Karate - even your engineering courses have been with a primary focus in tactical systems and targeting." He still hadn't asked a question, "-Are you exploring, or looking for a fight?"

Her face twisted with worry, she felt his tone was accusational. "I-I-..." she stammered, before regaining her composure, pushing her hands behind her back again, locking them together. "I'm committed to the principles of Starfleet. My specialties at the Academy have focused on combat and tactical courses, yes, however, I know that those are things we need, are they not?" She tilted her head with curiosity.

Harlow gave an accomidating smile, the Rear Admiral frowned at the young cadet.

The Andorian spoke, "Red Squad looks for the best and brightest in Starfleet, and those that are well-rounded." He lowered his nose.

She shot back, interrupting Harlow before he could respond as well, "My grades are exemplary..."

Harlow motioned calm with his hands, "Cadet, we're not accusing you of anything." He assured her as he eyed the Admiral, "but you're aware that Red Squad is more than just being tactically astute, right?" He didn't wait for a response, "Most Cadets hear about the Valiant-" he motioned to the holoportrait of the ship and her crew, "-and think that Red Squad is just an opportunity to get out there and start punching things. That couldn't be further from the truth." He looked at her with what she was sure was disappointment.

"I assure you, I want more than that." She affirmed, with that attitude she'd been warned to shirk.

There was a silence. Harlow and the Andorian Admiral looked at each other. It was awkward. She averted her eyes, looking around the room, anywhere but at them.

"Well," The Admiral smiled, falsely. "We will be in touch later this week." He tried to be warm about it, abnormal for an Andorian.

She nodded, and returned to her stance at attention.

"Dismissed." He said.

She spun about and headed for the doorway at a quick pace. She'd blown it. She rounded the corridor corner and headed for the Academy Green. She'd thought, for certain, that her dedication to combat and tactics so far would've made her a prime candidate for Red Squad. Harlow was right, she did think of them as a way to get out there and punch things. But she wouldn't dare share that with him. Truth was, D'Mera didn't know much about the Valiant either. At this point, she didn't care to, either.

No, she thought. That's the wrong attitude. I need to know more. Next semester, I will be on that ship. She was sure. She reached up to brush her hair off her shoulder, only to find nothing there... Of course, she'd cut it. It was a habit, like her attitude towards Harlow and the Admiral. She'd made assumptions. She'd been brash. She'd done everything her Father had taught her not to do, here.

The Academy Green spread out in front of her, acres of walkways and paths between the massive dormitories and classrooms at Starfleet Academy. She was heading for the pond, where she often went when she was feeling low. She suddenly realized she was wearing her dress uniform. Back to the dormitories it would be. She walked the whole way with her fists clenched. By the time she reached her dorm, her hands were chapped and lightened from being squeezed for so long, her sharp Orion nails had scratched her palm.

She popped into her dorm and tossed the dress shirt aside, her roommate nowhere to be found. "Computer, bring up history of Red Squad on PADD 6." she grabbed the PADD near the bed and she dropped to the floor, leaning her back to the mattress. She thought for a moment... "Computer, bring up Starfleet Biography, Lieutenant Commander Harlow."

Lieutenant

Inventory

Postby Jack Lucas » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Inventory

Stardate 11403.11

D'Mera stepped out of Lieutenant Sumner's office and turned down the corridor. She found herself smiling. The crew of the Hooke had been very welcoming to her so far, aside from the Captain's insistence on her wearing the pheromonal inhibitor... But as Commander Kymar had explained to her, it was a necessary precaution. She'd come to terms with it, now.

At the Academy it hadn't been much of an issue, she wore it when she was on duty, but spent her nights without it. There had never been an incident. Here, she was required to wear it at all times, even in her quarters, even at night. She had removed it once or twice, in restless sleep, to no incident, though she's sure she'd be in deep trouble if anyone ever found out.

She rounded another corner of the long, sweeping corridor and found herself at a turbolift. She stepped inside. "Fifteen." She waited, as the quiet turbolift shifted around and delivered her to her destination.

The doors opened to Deck 15, there wasn't much here besides a handful of quarters, some cargo bays and the Armory. She rounded the corner and stepped to the Armory door. The Armory was one of the few rooms on the ship that had a manual lock while the ship was running at no alert. When the ship was in yellow or red alert, this door would open automatically for Tactical Officers like D'Mera or Lieutenant Sumner. She pressed her thumb to the door control and it slid open.

Inside were rack after rack of phaser rifles, phasers, personal shield generators, and other more purpose driven weaponry. A young Benzite Tactical Officer stood at a console and nodded to D'Mera as she entered.

"I was just going to do a quick inventory before my shift ended." She smiled to the Benzite as she picked up a PADD and walked towards the racks.

"Oh," his tendrils waggled, "I've already begun one. I'd prefer you not interfere." he put his hands over the console, as if to protect it from her.

She smirked, "Well, fine, I guess I'll just turn in early." She said, jokingly. She flashed him a smile as she placed the PADD back on the table and walked towards the door.

D'Mera turned back to check his eyes, he was looking intently at the console in front of him. This was habit, for her, to see who she could trust to turn her back on. Half the time, she'd catch their eyes watching her from behind. This Benzite was a good egg, she decided, as she exited the armory.

Back to the Turbolift, she found herself thinking about her new ship. She had really hit it off with Dremel, and Lieutenant Sumner seemed to be taking a shine to her, so that was good. She still hadn't taken a shift on the bridge yet, something she was desperately looking forward to. Though, as a new Ensign and with Sumner and other more experienced Tactical Officers on board, it may be a while before she sees the true tactical console. She'd of course spent some time during her off hours running simulations on the holodeck and the secondary bridge as part of her on-the-job training regimen, standard for bridge officer candidates. But she was eager to perform in front of the Captain.

She entered the turbolift. "Deck 9." It moved, silently as always. She exited and walked again. The vast winding corridors of the Nebula Class Hooke might give some anxiety. It was a large ship, but still confining. D'Mera had been out in the wild a few times, but never for so long. This was just the beginning of her assignment, she had months yet, on this ship, with no leave scheduled. She looked at the drab gray carpet with the wide red stripe and wondered if, or when, she would grow tired of it.

The doors to her quarters opened automatically as she stepped in front of them. Her roommate, a Tarellian, was indistinguishable from a Human. She had almost orange hair and incredibly pale skin.

"Done early?" Kell said to D'Mera, as she crossed the shared space and pressed the replicator, "Two Raktajinos." They appeared.

"Yeah, I was going to run inventory in the armory, but that Benzite beat me to it." D'Mera said as she unzipped the front of her uniform and took the raktajino from Kell.

"He's the ambitious one, right?" Kell smilled and sipped her warm drink.

"I guess." D'Mera took a deep sip of the Klingon Coffee and stepped towards her quarters. "Let me change."

Kell placed her cup on the small table the two would share. Their quarters were small, two adjacent bedrooms and a shared living space and restroom. It was standard quarters for their rank. It was certainly better than the enlisted men had, 4 or 5 in one room with no privacy whatsoever. Kell shouted to D'Mera, who was changing, "Do you want to go to the lounge, or burn some holo-time?"

D'Mera shouted back, "I only get an hour a week of holo-time, right now. And I need to use that for my sessions with Dremel."

"Oh," Kell whistled, "You and Doctor Kymar, then?"

"NO." D'Mera insisted, "He's helping me learn to control my pheromones, instead of just suppressing them all the time. He wants to write some medical paper on it, I don't know." She steps out of her small bedroom wearing a tank and shorts, likely bedtime attire. She retreives the Raktajino and takes another drink. "All I know is that the more he learns about my physiology, the more likely it is I can take this damn thing off." She lifts her arm, still adorned with the large protruding cuff that inhibited her glands from producing the intoxicating Orion pheromones.

"Physiology?" Kell flirted the sound. "Interesting."

"Stop it." She didn't like Kell, she was always trying to play matchmaker. D'Mera wasn't entirely certain, but Kell might be a whore. Always going to the lounge or Holosuites with different men, and on more than one occasion, she hadn't returned to their quarters at all during the "night." - This wasn't any real evidence, but she'd made no mention of a boyfriend and D'Mera didn't always look for the best in people.

"Well, then what do you want to do?" Kell frowned, bored.

D'Mera sighed. "I'm going to drink this, eat something, and go to bed."

"You'll be up all night." Kell pointed out.

D'Mera looked at the cup in front of her and set it down. Raktajino would likely keep her up all night. "Computer, milk."

A glass of white milk appeared in the replicator.

"Chocolate." D'Mera quickly added, as she stepped towards it, placing the Raktajino glass in the replicator hole. The milk turned gray and then brown as the raktajino disappeared.

She turned to Kell, "I'm tired, and I want to get an early start tomorrow."

Kell started fake sobbing, "But I wanted to hear about the away mission!"

"Trust me, there's not much to hear. We saved some rocks, everyone came home." D'Mera shrugged as she headed towards her bedroom. She stopped and smiled, "Oh, and I heard it gave the Captain a headache."
Last edited by Jack Lucas on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: TAC Ensign D'Mera

Postby C. J. Short » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Jack Lucas wrote:D'Mera wasn't entirely certain, but Kell might be a whore.

Had a good laugh at that one. Outstanding :D
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Re: TAC Ensign D'Mera

Postby James Greenman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:13 pm

An absolutely outstanding log, Jack, as always! Really enjoyed this one.

PreviousNext

Return to Spacedock