XO LtCmdr Thomas Marsland

Forum for the Sigma Rho, running every Sunday at 1900 PST/Monday at 0300 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Lieutenant

Re: NAV LtCmdr Thomas Marsland

Postby Thomas Marsland » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:25 am

Navigator's log, Stardate 11411.03.

Nothing like getting stuck in a turbolift to slow things down for me today. We are searching for two missing crew members, and the upgrades to Stellar Cartography have gone according to plan. I will be encouraging members of the Navigational team to use some of this downtime in a constructive manner, such as renewing their phaser certifications on the range while we are docked. I get the general feeling of the crew as being extremely interested in getting home to Starbase 123, and seeing what we will be onto from there.

I've been tasked with leading an Away Team to the station to find our missing crew members. You would think that station security could do their job, but I'll be happy to help. Especially since York is coming with me.

End Log.

Lieutenant

Postby Thomas Marsland » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:37 am

Navigator's Log, Stardate 11411.10.

Doctor York and I beamed over to the station, but initially didn't have much luck finding our missing crewmen. Not until Commander York found a way to locate Klingons on the station that had not been accounted for by Station Ops. When we began our search with that knowledge, we got much closer to finding our missing officers. We came across a life sign in crew quarters, but it seemed to be weak. Luckily for us, we figured out a way into the quarters. I'd never seen anything like it. Some form of stasis pods were the only thing in the room and they appeared to have some form of bio-feedback mechanism on them. As York tried to get them open I called for backup from the Sentinel. It arrived, and we got to work, sure that our officers were among those apparently kidnapped.

I only hope we weren't too late.

--------------------------

Personal Log, Stardate 11411.02

I haven't had the chance to bring it up to the chain of command yet, but I will have to soon. I received a priority communique from Sigma Rho station, where Alyx's ship docked last. She's contracted some odd strain of a virus and is in critical condition aboard her ship. They don't think it looks good and even if she does pull through, is going to need family. Mom couldn't travel that far with her declining health, so they've asked me to take medical leave and report there. I will be asking Cmdr Stradiot for a transfer to the station until I can remedy my family situation. I had hoped that it wouldn't come to this so soon after reporting to a new ship, especially for my Department Head tour, but I need to take care of my family. I only hope everyone understands... and can put up with York without me.

Lieutenant

Postby Thomas Marsland » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Navigator's Log, Stardate 11411.17.

Still working on getting our men out of these pods. I focused on trying to find out what's been controlling them while our Doctor and his assistant worked on freeing them from the pods. It's a very complex setup, but I found a Kressari in one of the pods. I disconnected the Kressari, and am now looking to see if that will loosen the grip on out other crew members in the pods.

Personal Log.

I really hope that my 'pulling the plug', so to speak, on this Kressari actually does free them and I haven't committed negligent murder. I hope that everyone involved will understand it's all in defense of these people locked in these pods, two of which are our crew.

End.

Lieutenant

Re: XO LtCmdr Thomas Marsland

Postby Thomas Marsland » Sun May 22, 2016 4:04 pm

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Postby Thomas Marsland » Sun May 22, 2016 4:07 pm

Lieutenant

Postby Thomas Marsland » Sun May 22, 2016 5:05 pm

The din of the emergency lighting, the acrid odor of the smoke, and all he could think was, This station is dying.  We may all die here.

He’d arrived a while ago, put on leave to take care of his sister, Alyx.  She was still in critical condition, the medics unable to figure out what was ailing her.  Some weird strain of a virus similar to the Quazulu VIII virus, this had kept her heart barely pumping.  At least she was unconscious, he thought as he pushed the anti-grav bed into the runabout.  One of the few pilots still onboard Sigma Rho, he was tasked with helping in the evacuation efforts.

Gah! The sparks from the exploding conduit showered him and Alyx.  Just a little longer, he thought as he strapped the bed in.  Then we’ll get out here.. to where, though?  That was the question. The Tzenkethi war had forced Starfleet back for the first time in a while.  Inward, I guess. Get as many people as we can to safety.

————————

The little runabout dipped and dodged as it fled from Sigma Rho, the larger ships helping to provide cover. 

Computer, begin recording subspace message.

Nia, it’s Tom.  I don’t have much time, but we’re evacuating Sigma Rho.  The station is being boarded now. I have a runabout full of survivors, and we’re heading for the nearest safe haven.  I’m just sending this because.. well..

The runabout took a grazing blow from stray shot, and a console behind Tom exploded in a shower of sparks.

Damn!  Anyways, Nia, I just have a bad feeling about all of this.. you take care of yourself out there.  I miss you, friend.  Tom out.

Computer, encode the message and send to Chief Engineer, USS Hyperion.

————————

Engineering was about as calm as it had been these last few weeks. That is to say, it was total chaos. Engineers dashed this way and that, some under orders, some due to pure adrenaline and a nervousness that came with not knowing which breath was your last. Danann was in her office, trying, once more, to contact the Bremen.
She stared at her screen, willing it to connect to no avail.
"Chief?" Rankin called, swinging around her open door. "Message for you..."
Niamh's head shot up. "From where?"
"The 'Rho." 
"The..." Niamh was too tired to question that. "OK, patch it through."

She watched in silence.
Great. Now, she had lost him too?!
"Computer, record reply... Tom, got your message. Great to hear from you... but your timing sucks ass, man " she looked around, feeling older and more exhausted than ever. She face was grubby with soot and grease, her hair a jumble of curls and chaos on top of her head. "If that's you flying that thing, I know you'll make it. Just... keep your head down, yea?" she blinked at the screen, all her emotions numb, her eyes dry. "And none of your god-damned fancy flying, got it?" She heard her name being called. "When all this is over..." she tried for a smile. "Just let me know when you get to safety, ok?”

————————

As the computer bleeped in reply, Tom focused on getting clear of the ships surrounding the station, readying the small craft for warp. His co-pilot spoke out to him.

Sir, picking up an escape craft from the station… Federation civilian pod, heavily damaged, three life signs. Should I signal the larger ships?

No, they’re busy with the big fight.. let’s get in there.

His console lit up with a new subspace message.  That was quick, Nia, he listened. Good to hear from you.  Can’t keep that fancy flying promise though, he thought as he dove the runabout back towards the station.

The runabout swung back to the ‘Rho, it’s flank exposed to the raiders as the small craft locked a tractor on the escape pod. Get that damn thing in the cargo bay. We need to get out of here.

The gnawing feeling in his stomach intensified, and he glanced back to check the readouts on the bio-bed. Still a slow, steady beep.

——————

As the pod came aboard into the cargo bay, the transporter pulled the civilians into the back of the runabout. Safety.

A console exploded in the back of the cabin as the runabout took another Tzenkethi hit.

The beep ended. Flatline.

——————

Lieutenant Commander Marsland…. Tom, the Admiral began. You saved lives out there that wouldn’t have otherwise survived.

Tom stood stiffly at attention, his eyes still puffy with loss.

You can’t know that if you had stayed your course and not gone back for those people that your sister would’ve lived. The Tzenkethi were all over. You could’ve gotten hit elsewhere. She still could’ve died.

Tom didn’t say a word as the tears silently ran down his cheeks. The Admiral came around the desk with a small box, and pinned the medal on his chest. He handed Tom a second box with a different medal inside.

Lieutenant Commander, you are hereby awarded the Starfleet Silver Lifesaving Medal for your actions in the evacuation of the Sigma Rho Station. Your actions helped prevent additional loss of life, and directly resulted in the rescue of three Federation citizens who would otherwise have perished. Your actions were in the highest keeping of Starlet’s traditions.

Additionally, Lieutenant Alyx Marsland is being posthumously awarded with the Purple Heart for woulds received in action during the evacuation of Sigma Rho Station.

The Admiral’s features softened, and he clasped Tom on the shoulder. It’s not easy… it never is. You did the right thing. Take some time, Commander. Starfleet will be waiting for you when you’re ready.
Last edited by Thomas Marsland on Wed May 25, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sun May 22, 2016 5:30 pm

Wow, that's one hell of a way to introduce a character!!!
Nice flash back, man!

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Sun May 22, 2016 7:47 pm

It was fun to read about the 'Rho evacuation again, that was a great log!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

PreviousNext

Return to Sigma Rho