NAV Ens Vincent Calhoun

This is a Forum-Only Station. Do you have an inactive character that you want to write about? Is your character being transferred somewhere else, or fresh out of the Academy? This is where you write logs or start something creative with your fellow players either on Spacedock, orbiting Earth, or elsewhere in the STE universe.

Moderator: James Greenman

Cadet

NAV Ens Vincent Calhoun

Postby Wesley Cowan » Thu May 08, 2014 10:36 pm

First Assignment

Stardate 11405.08

Despite everything my father told me about Starfleet, it seems that I was not quite prepared. I figured that getting my assignment would take some time, seeing as I'm a fresh graduate, but no, the orders came down rather quickly.

Honestly, I'm glad. The Academy was beginning to fray nerves I didn't know I had.

Today, though, I hitched a ride on the USS Hooke over to the Bremen. As an Intrepid class ship, it is a beauty. I'm slightly disappointed, though. Despite being able to serve aboard a technological and engineering marvel, I was secretly hoping to be assigned to one of the Nova class. I've always had a soft spot for those.

With my father's stories bouncing around in my head, I knew today was going to be anything but smooth. I wasn't, however, expecting someone to be killed during my first day. After setting in the course towards the Episadi Cluster, someone discovered the body of... shit, what was his name? Whatever. Anyway, a body was found.

I was surprised when the CO asked me for my opinion. I didn't really have one, but I did say that I was worried. Which is true. Murder? Not what I wanted on my first day.

My father, if he was here, would have some sort of anecdote to give me, some story to tell. I miss him, but he understands. I don't want mother's death to completely ruin him. She died protecting me and my father. It was something she wanted to do, and I have come to realize that, years after the fact. At least he still has my sister for company.

Speaking of, I need to send her a message. I did promise, and I try to keep those.
NAV - Cadet Vincent Calhoun - USS Bremen

"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.” - Terry Pratchett

Commander

Re: NAV Ens Vincent Calhoun

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu May 08, 2014 11:52 pm

Well, that made me laugh!
Awesome first log, Wes. Nice intro to the character, bit of back story... I look forward to learning more about Vincent!

Cadet

Postby Wesley Cowan » Fri May 09, 2014 4:13 am

Thanks. It was a fun log to write. Hopefully the next week flow as easily as this one did. Writing is in my blood, you could say.

"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.” - Terry Pratchett

Cadet

Postby Wesley Cowan » Thu May 22, 2014 3:34 am

First Mission (cont.)

Stardate 11405.15

Having vital parts of an ongoing investigation occurring mere meters behind me was trying my concentration. With most of my systems functioning normally, my job was delightfully easy. And that is why my concentration was strained.

I'd love to help. The classics such as Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie's Poirot were favorites of mine as a youth. Of course, given my age, I am the youngest, even if only by a year, so I could still be considered a youth by some of the older crew.

Nothing much has been uncovered in the investigation, but it seems that a Bajoran was responsible. Or, if not, someone really dislikes Bajorans and is trying to frame one.

Shit. I really shouldn't have mentioned that. Despite the level of security around the logs, they can still be accessed. Maybe I should take that out. Nevermind, I'll deal with it when the time comes. Maybe I'll say that it was added after I had already finished.

Sounds good.

I really wish my father hadn't left Starfleet. If he was still attached to a ship, I might have been able to finagle my way into his department. He was quite the genius in his field. I should probably give him an update on things. He knows of my assignment, but maybe I should inform him off how well I'm getting along with the rest of the crew.

Here in the next few days, I need to make and add a new bead to my braid. I'm thinking a silver bead with an Intrepid engraved along the outer circumference. I'll see what I can do with the replicator. Maybe when this mission finishes, I'll start on it.

My mother would be proud of me, at least she would after calmly tearing my self-esteem down with a cold fury. That was one thing I really remember about her. If she ever got angry, it rarely showed, but it hit with a force that even the staunchest of men would cower from. I wonder how father is doing?

I suppose I should close out this log. I'm sure I'll have more to add later. And I really need to send that message off to my sister.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu May 22, 2014 12:03 pm

brilliant log Wesley :) I am loving the erratic mind of Ensign Calhoun
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu May 22, 2014 12:32 pm

Einar S wrote:brilliant log Wesley :) I am loving the erratic mind of Ensign Calhoun

Yep! Just the kinda guy you want in charge of where we're going. ;)
Next stop, ice-cream planet, I guess!

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Thu May 22, 2014 12:33 pm

I approve of this unscheduled change of course.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Thu May 22, 2014 2:15 pm

I'm with everyone else on this. Great log, Wesley!

TO THE ICE-CREAM PLANET!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Cadet

Postby Wesley Cowan » Thu May 22, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm doing similar to how I remember them on the shows: the Captain sitting down somewhere and just talking about the mission and current events aboard.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys like them. I can't wait for today's mission.

Cadet

Postby Wesley Cowan » Tue May 27, 2014 6:42 am

First Mission (cont.)

Stardate 11405.22

I'd like it on record that I honestly meant no offense when I made my quick escape from the Sickbay.

Now that I have that out of the way, I can say that the investigation is moving along. Where to, I can't say. Everyone that had been using the bridge to study clues and whatnot decided to move operations elsewhere. Honestly, I'm glad. It was weird listening to an ongoing investigation occurring right behind me. Plus, I'm not sure that the bridge was the best place for an investigation.

It was odd that Dr. Ecchumati decided to start doing check-ups, right in the middle of everything that is going on. When she called on me, I felt a momentary panic. I recalled the events that filled most of the time between my seventh and eighth birthdays. It's not something I like remembering, but I thought I had moved past it. Apparently not.

Hospitals of any sort seem to cause this reaction. It never lasts for more than a moment, but the uncomfortableness I feel lasts until I am clear of the confines of the wards. It is something I need to address, but it will need to wait until we return to dock. There, I might find some time to speak with Dr. Ecchumati at greater length.

Of course, I could go ahead and send that message to my sister like I was supposed to. Have I really procrastinated that much? Gods, this is pitiful. I sound like a whiney teenager.

I think I'll just delete this log.

...What do you mean, not possible?

Next

Return to Spacedock